Thursday, May 18, 2006

Constructing for 'canes

Living in the Gulf Coast region, I go through the same drill every year. Hurricane preparedness. In fact, it's almost that time again. Yippee.

My last set of storm shutters were crudely constructed of 1x6 picketts with 2x4 braces. When I built them, I used the only wood I could purchase at the time. Plywood stocks were raided. But, now that there is time and currently no panic, I'm ditching my junky shutters for nice plywood.

But here's my dilemna... I have a brick house with aluminum framed windows. What the heck is someone supposed to attach their shutters to, anyway? I have taken the time to install masonry anchors in the brick around each window to serve as attachment points. But what about other folks? Some, they say, prefer to wedge 2x4's between the brick. No thanks. Other prefer Plylocks. I'm not too wild about these, though some people swear by them.

What I don't understand is why building codes don't require attachment points installed during construction for houses in high wind areas. I really wouldn't have minded spending a few hundred extra bucks to have anchors preset. Of course builders aren't going to take it upon themselves to furnish anchors, so why not make it code?

Just a thought.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/07/2006 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/22/2006 3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/03/2006 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home